Thursday, December 24, 2009

Video 1: Kim Corfino - Going Global, Culture Shock, Convergence & the Future of Education




I just viewed the 39 minute Kim Corfino video Going Global: Culture Shock, Convergence and the Future of Education which was an interesting approach to the challenges and potential of 21st century learning. What made this particularly interesting to me was that I had spent a limited time in my career both visiting an Asian country and working in an Indian firm where I was exposed to much of the Indian culture. The clash of cultures in the working environment and the sensory overload of the experiences in Mumbai combined to make the overall effect quite educational. What the video brought back for me was the almost widespread awareness that my work colleagues had of global issues, events and cultures that I as an American did not have. I always considered myself well educated and well versed in global discussions, but I became acutely aware that it was through the filters of my own US perspective. It was a bit unnerving to feel somewhat less ‘educated’ when speaking with my peers.



This is to say that the Kim Corfino video enabled me to cross that threshold and look at the many opportunities for integrating the world around us into my own teaching activities. I use the essential question “How does this relate to the world around you” when discussing our course content, but now realize that I can truly make it relate by establishing virtual contacts around the world who live in the various climate regions, reside in the terrains we study in earth science, and conduct the exploration of space.


Establishing Personal Learning Networks through many of the tools with educators around the US and the world may open the door to new possibilities in the classroom. Using technology in the classroom to enable my own students to reach out to students around the world, sharing experiences, perspectives and viewpoints would certainly be an enhancement to their learning. Today I see my students studying the cultures of the Middle East, the Far East and Africa in their social studies classes. How much more motivating and relevant might it be if they actually communicated and collaborated on cultural activities and projects?


For my own personal interests, I am moving into a period in my life where the prospect of teaching in an International School certainly sounds like an interesting adventure. I have always had a passion for international travel, and had never really considered the International Schools as a possibility. But that may be the topic for a future post!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete