Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My 21st Century Learning Summary

Happy New Year Everyone!

Well, it is still Christmas vacation week and this morning I think I finished my Learning Summary for the course The 3Cs of 21st Century Teaching and Learning. As I looked back over the last three months and review all the different tools, web 2.0 sites, contacts, resources and blogging sites, I am amazed at how far I think I have come since the first day of class. If you remember my very first post I was very overwhelmed with all the different tools and sites...it was a new language for me and I was entering a world that I did not really realize had existed. Since then I have become more comfortable with many tools, such as Twitter, Edublogs, Blogger, Animoto, Xtranormal, Facebook, Google Reader and others. I have really gotten the hang of embedding code and video, making and editing posts, searching for resources, tweeting, and applying these tools for use in the classroom. In my own room I have begun much more comfortable with SmartBoard and now use it daily. I’ve been able to capture images and diagrams and then post them to the class web site. All my project worksheets and classroom notes and documents are available online for my students, and we even have a classroom Facebook Fan Page. So much in so little time, relatively speaking, and I am pleased with my progress.

I'd like to make a special mention of a fellow science teacher who has helped me a lot these past few weeks, Sean Mussleman in Reading, MA. He has truly motivated me to get motivated to learn more of the tools, and he has become a special part of my own PLN. Thanks, Sean!

Below is a video that I produced using Animoto which summarizes the learning experiences. My goal for the remainder of this school year is to continue to expand the use of these tools in my room, and also to encourage my students to work with them. For my Personal Learning Network I hope to be able to contribute more than I receive, and to become more active online in the sharing of information and work products. Overall, I would have to say that I feel much more confident and comfortable in this new world. And as the video below is entitled, let me extend a Welcome to the Future!


Welcome to the Future

4 comments:

  1. I have to laugh. I think we're on similar schedules.

    I'm glad to see the title of your blog changed from a "New Era?" to "A New Era..."

    Wonderful presentation. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill.....it took some time to do it but pleased with the results...just looked at your own blog site...you've been busy yourself! Did not realize you had all that going on in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Animoto, Bob. Thanks for the cameo appearances ;) You should be proud of the leaps you've made in just a short time. I encourage you to keep exploring new tools but develop your curriculu through the tools you find most effective and easy to use and implement!

    May 2010 be as rewarding as 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,
    What a great montage of everything you've (we've) learned through this course. There is so much to try! Thanks for the inspiration, Geri

    ReplyDelete